Last night’s 71st Annual Golden Globe awards were all about sleek blow-outs, messy and refined updos and natural styles. Like we said, the blow-out is going to be HUGE in 2014! Read on to see what other styles your favorite actresses wore on the red carpet.
Hairstylist Renato Campora and Reese Witherspoon took inspiration from the silhouette of the Calvin Klein dress, wanting to give a modern twist to a classic look.
1. Renato started by applying L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle Sleek It Frizz Vanisher Cream to damp hair from roots to ends.
2. He then sprayed L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle Sleek It Iron Straight Heatspray on her damp hair as he blew it out.
3. To achieve a super-straight and geometric effect, he used a flat iron on her dry hair and finished with the L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle Sleek It Strand-Smoother Serum Spray to add shine, tame frizz and fight flyaways.
Hair stylist Shelley Brien used Vidal Sassoon Pro Series hair products on Emma Watson for her soft chignon with a modern twist look.
1. First spray Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Heat Protect & Shine Spray to damp hair. Take a medium-sized boar bristle round brush and blow-dry hair so that it’s straight and smooth.
2. Once hair is dry, create a side part and then spray Vidal Sassoon Pro Series ColorFinity Dry Shampoo in Rich Darks to the roots to create extra volume.
3. Backcomb the hair near the front of your face to create texture and then brush all the hair back until it’s smooth. Maintaining the side part, pull hair back into a low ponytail and then wrap hair loosely into a chignon. Wrap hair similar to a bun and then pin in place.
4. Pull a few pieces of hair in the front and tuck behind the ear to create a more modern, tousled look.
5. To finish, spray hair with Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Flexible Hold Hairspray to leave it with a sleek, finished look.
Next, Larry used a rat tail comb to insert a dramatic deep side part on the right side of her head. He then took the part back to the crown of Lupita’s head and combed her hair to each side.
After the dramatic part was put in place, Larry then used Smooth ‘N Shine Go Pro Curls Butter Bouncin’ to hydrate Lupita’s hair to give it an easy, moldable texture. For a finishing touch, Larry used got2b 2sexy Voluptuous Volume Hairspray to keep her tresses in place through a long night of Golden Globe after parties.
According to Celebrity Hairstylist Harry Josh, her look was all about the return of classically simple yet chic hair. “Waves have ruled the red carpet for so long. We wanted to keep Sofia looking modern and fresh and a chic, a luxurious blow-out lent her that,” says Josh.
Josh created a diagonal part and blow-dried her hair section by section with a two inch round brush and his Harry Josh Pro Tools Pro Dryer 2000. Those were the only tools he needed to make this high-impact red carpet look. By using the built-in ion technology of the dryer, Josh was able to achieve a super-satiny finish. “Sometimes less is more in a sea of overly intricate hairstyles. Simple and chic can steal the show.”
Celebrity Hairstylist Blake Burkholder gave Laura Carmichael super-sleek, shiny hair for the red carpet. After seeing the Downton Abbey star’s gown, Burkholder knew she needed a look that was both simple and strong.
1 – Prep — Burkholder spritzed her wet hair with Luxurious Volume Root Booster Blow Dry Lotion, working it through the roots to add extra lift and hold to Carmichael‘s blow-out.
3 – Perfect — Burkholder finished off the look by coating Carmichael‘s hair with Frizz Ease 100% Shine Glossing Mist, giving her smooth, frizz-free and glistening hair all night long.
Celebrity Hairstylist Sascha Breuer styled Downtown Abbey bombshell Michelle Dockery for her walk down the red carpet along with her cast — Sascha chose to keep the hair modern with a looser, more playful and slightly disheveled take on the often-rigidly Edwardian styles she wears as Lady Mary.
1. Sascha applied Davines More Inside This Is A Sea Salt Spray to the root area of her towel-dried hair, and blow-dried it using a round brush to create the perfect foundation and loose volume that this style needs.
2. Once Michelle’s hair was completely dry, Sascha divided it into smaller sub sections (roughly 1-inch) and curled each section individually, starting from the back. “For those recreating the look, I recommend using a 1 or 1 1/2-inch curling iron that lets you adjust the temperature to the needs of your hair and works on a low / medium heat setting,” said Sascha.
3. He then worked his way through the hair, curling in horizontal sections.
4. Applying a small drop of Davines More Inside This is An Invisible Serum, Sascha broke up the curls and left a few loose strands around the face to create a slightly messy texture.
5. Once the hair had the right shape and texture, Sascha misted the look with Davines More Inside This Is A Medium Hairspray to keep the style flexible. “This hairspray is great because it also adds lots of shine and extreme bounce,” comments Sascha.
1. Starting with wet hair, apply L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle Sleek It Frizz Vanisher Cream on the bottom 2-inches of hair.
2. For the blow-out, spray the L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle Boost it Blow Out Heatspray on the 1-2″ of hair closest to the roots; from that length down to the ends, spray L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle Sleek It Iron Straight Heatspray. It’s the perfect combination for THE perfect blow-out; The Boost It gives amazing lift and the Sleek It kicks any amount of frizz to the curb!
3. Once Zoe‘s hair was blown out, starting at the nape of her neck and working up to the top, take 1″ sections of hair and spray the L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle Sleek It Iron Straight Heatspray and run flat iron down (the spray protects on heat up to 450 degrees)!
4. Once hair is shiny and sleek, gather it together and smooth it with a flat mixed bristle brush into an ear level ponytail; then slowly twist it into an elegant chignon and secure with a mix of bobby pins and hair pins. Aviva then attached a stunning Lorraine Schwartz piece of jewelry to the right side of the bun.
5. To secure the bun, Aviva sprayed L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle Lock It Weather Control Hairspray onto a clean, disposable mascara wand and gently comb down any flyaways for a super-polished look; this is the perfect humidity armor to secure the look.
6. To complete the look, spray the entire look with L’Oréal Paris Elnett Satin Volume Hairspray; this is the perfect way to seal in the look while giving it brushable hold and a beautiful light shine.
Ruth Roche, Pureology Artistic Ambassador, created Julia Roberts’ hair look for the evening.
1. Mist Pureology’s Fortifying Heat Spray on dry hair for added thermal protection. Take 1.5 inch sections of hair and mist with Strengthening Control Hairspray.
2. Wrap sections around large hot rollers directing all sections backwards. Once the hair has cooled, remove rollers and brush thoroughly with a soft bristle brush.
3. Lightly backcomb the crown area and smooth with a soft brush to polish hair. Gather hair in a low ponytail and twist inward. Secure twist with pins.
4. Allow fringe to fall forward and define pieces with Cuticle Polisher. Finish with a mist of Radiance Amplifier Anti-Frizz Spray for amazing shine.
To capture the pregnant starlet’s natural beauty, Hairstylist Lona Vigi created sophisticated side-swept waves that complemented Olivia’s stunning, high-neck Gucci dress. Lona said, “Olivia wanted to feel like herself tonight – beautiful, but not overdone – so I decided to leave her hair down. I think this look is sexy and effortless. And even a bit rock ‘n roll.”
1. Prep wet hair using Oscar Blandi Jasmine Oil Serum on the ends for shine and to protect the cuticles; Oscar Blandi Lacca Hairspray on the roots for body and “staying power” and Oscar Blandi Pronto Dry Heat Protect Spray to safeguard from hot tools.
2. Part the hair to one side and blow-dry using a round brush.
3. Spray hair all over with Oscar Blandi Pronto Texture & Volume Spray and then curl it, alternating with different curling iron barrels (¾ to 1½ inches); repeat and tousle for more texture.
4. Spray Oscar Blandi Pronto Invisible Spray onto the roots and all over for body, shine and to absorb any product residue.
5. Finish with Oscar Blandi Lacca Hairspray to ensure long-lasting hold throughout the night.
You can purchase all reviewed and mentioned items using our site, www.BeautyStat.com!
Which hair look from last night’s Golden Globes was your favorite? Are you seeing a blow-out trend, too?
Let us know by commenting below (you just might win a free sample)! Make sure to check out our Pinterest page by clicking HERE! And don’t forget to get the latest beauty and skincare news by following us on Twitter @BeautyStat!
– Theresa Romano, Managing Editor
For more giveaways and contests, sign up for our newsletter HERE.
If you like this post, share it with your friends and give it a LIKE on Facebook.